WORKING NIGHT SHIFTS-ILLNESS FREE
Perhaps the most profound influence on the short and long term health of an employee is sleep deprivation or circadian disruption that results from:
- Poor sleep QUALITY
- Poor sleep QUANTITY
- DISRUPTED SLEEPING PATTERNS.
KNIGHTS is a specialised programme for people who work nights (the 10pm to 8am shift) somewhere in their rotation (although we get a lot of clients who also just work day and evening shifts)
We help clients navigate the issues of:
- Body clock synchronization
- Managing nutrient intake, balance and diet
- How and when to exercise on night shifts
- Removing the risk of short and long trm sickness and disease
- Improving the quality and quantity of sleep.
If you are working night (or regular evening) shifts and you feel your sleep, health and wellbeing is compromised, KNIGHTS IS FOR YOU.
Clients include: Nurses, Doctors, Security, Police, Fire, Ambulance, Engineers / mechanics, Financiers, Overnight traders, Care workers, Aviation workers, Drivers, Cleaners, Corrections, Air traffic control, Taxi, Hotel / hospitality staff, Bakers, Dispatchers, Casino worker etc.
While the roles are quite diverse, the challenges from working nights are not.
We can HELP.
We GUARANTEE IT!
For more information about KNIGHTs and how we can help you look afer your wellbeing and health contact:
Ph: 0800 248 626 (NZ residents)
Ph:+64 21 248 6206
UNDERSTANDING CIRCADIAN SCIENCE:
· The key to managing the circadian rhythm is ‘consistency’ but when sleeping schedules change regularly, consistency is impossible.
· Without a regular schedule cellular damage occurs and associated side effects include everything from unmanageable weight gain, to mental illness (depression / anxiety / dementia) to cancer.
· The World Health Organization and the International Agency for Cancer Research have both defined ‘shift work’ as a carcinogen.
· We all have a gene that controls normal daily biological rhythm. The gene encodes a protein that accumulates in cells at night and is then degraded during the day.
· Our inner clock adapts our physiology to the different phases of a 24 hour cycle. These genes and proteins regulate critical functions such as behavior, hormone levels, cell methylation cycles, sleep ability, body temperature, pH levels, gut microbiome bacterial levels, and metabolism to name just a few.
· As humans we are time keeping machines. We need the basic functions of sleeping, eating, exercising to keep all of our clocks in sync
· If the body’s natural sleep / wake cycle is messed with (i.e. over night shifts, international travel, up at night with a new baby, pain preventing us from sleeping etc.) we pay the price – Blood pressure increases, hunger hormones become unbalanced, gut bacteria become dysbiotic, body pH is unbalanced, blood sugar control is lost.
· We can recover from one off events of course, but continually WORKING and LIVING AGAINST THE CLOCK sets the stage for cellular based disease to flourish – explaining why the risk of cancer, Alzheimer’s, heart disease, diabetes, autoimmune disease is 200% higher in shift workers. This is exactly what we see in the symptom picture profiles of our shift working clients.
· All of the wrong signals are being sent at the wrong time of the day. The clocks in our body, the timing of sleeping, eating, activity, play multiple roles in helping us maintain good health.
· The body clock controls hundreds of different rhythms keeping them all in sync- from detox, to our metabolism, to cellular management, to tissue and organ repair and maintenance.
AT PEH we understand circadian science. We understand that it is REMARKABLY EASY to MITIGATE THE HEALTH RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH CIRCADIAN DISRUPTION.
This is what our KNIGHT PROGRAMME DOES.